chicken droppings for fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frog522, Jul 8, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Do chicken droppings have to be composted to be used as fertilizer? Can droppings that have dried and hardened (like the ones that are a week old) be directly used as fertilizer? [​IMG]

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    They work great in my garden, but they do get tilled in before planting time.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It's a "hot" fertilizer--meaning they are high in nitrogen and will burn most plants if used directly without composting and/or mixing in. I prefer to either put it on the garden in the fall or winter and till it in in the spring or dump it in an out-of-the-way place during the summer, let it rot, and work it in the following year. That being said I grew some of the best cole crops I ever had using fresh chicken manure I dumped out when cleaning a brooder--heads of broccoli and cauliflower the size of dinner plates. The nice thing about it is that it is relatively weed seed free, unlike cow, pig and horse manure.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    you should let it settle for about a year before using so the nitrogen is not going to fry your plants.

5. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    let it sit for a while or just use a little bit at a time and see how the plants react. If they don't burn add some more...

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    We add small amounts to our compost heap, that gets added to the garden in the fall after harvest ime, then tilled in. We also keep a pile of just chicken poop off to the side that we let set for a year then till in to soil when we till.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by