chicken / duck / ostrich

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by homecatmom, Sep 21, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens aren't laying yet. I really like the taste of eggs. Even store bought eggs (I know, I know....wait till I get my own fresh eggs). If I get duck eggs from a friend, do you think they taste good? I have never eaten a duck egg, but am more than willing to try. Do you all find that there is a difference in chicken versus duck eggs? I have had ostrich egg and it was good but only slightly different (though much more) than a chicken egg. Any thoughts?
    Cathy:rolleyes:

2. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    in my opinion duck eggs are richer and they are great for baking.

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I had a duck in with my chickens.. they had been together since day one.. I went out to get eggs one day and there was a white egg.. humm.. how odd I thought.. I wonder which "chicken" is laying a white egg.. they are all brown egg layers.. The duck was suppose to be a "drake" so it wasnt the duck.. We ate them... in the beginning the duck egg was the size of a chicken egg with a kind of rough texture on the outside.... then I went out one day and there was a huge shiny smooth egg and thats when i realized we had been eating duck eggs.. we couldnt tell a bit of difference.. even fried one or two.. maybe someone else could tell but we sure didnt..

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    If I thought I could sneek an ostrich chick in with next springs order I'd do it in a second. but alas my DW reviews all orders ever since I snuck in the pheseant and turkeys last spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by