Chicken & Dumplings! Show us your dumplings!

Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
I noticed on another thread when we got off course and started talking about dumplings...there are different ways people like or make them. Well that got me craving some so I made some today. I thought it would be neat for people to share their dumpling recipes and pictures.
Well Here goes mine:
2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
couple dashes of salt
2 table spoons softened butter
3/4-1 cup milk

Mix Baking powder, flour and salt together. put butter in and work into flour. ( I crumble it through with hands) then add milk a little at a time , working it in to form a ball of dough. You may not need to use all the milk. Flour a surface and roll dough out flat (but not to thin) and cut into squares with a pizza cutter or knife. I lightly dust them right befor dropping them in my pot of soup so that the flour helps thicken the soup.

Attachments

• Chicken&dumplings.jpg
    Chicken&dumplings.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 41
My personal recipe is very similar to yours, can't beat a classic. However if someone isn't culinary inclined or looking for a easy cheat, my grandma taught me that if you get the broth really boiling and drop in flour tortillas cut into pieces one at a time they puff up like dumplings and really taste good. I prefer the original, but it's a fun twist!

My personal recipe is very similar to yours, can't beat a classic. However if someone isn't culinary inclined or looking for a easy cheat, my grandma taught me that if you get the broth really boiling and drop in flour tortillas cut into pieces one at a time they puff up like dumplings and really taste good. I prefer the original, but it's a fun twist!
Now that's one I've never heard of! Dumplings Mexican style! Ha,ha!

I don't have a picture but my dumplings are like little biscuits floating on top of the soup. I use Bisquik, and use the recipe on the side of the box for dumplings*. I make little balls of dough about 1" in diameter using my little melon baller, and squeeze them onto the boiling soup. They cook for 10 minutes uncovered and 10 more minutes covered, boiling gently. They are dry and fluffy inside and are just so yummy! Chicken and dumplings are my kids' favorite dinner!

*It may not be on the box any more. It calls for 2 c Bisquik and 2/3 c milk. Stir with a fork till thoroughly moistened, but it may still have lumps.

My daughter is diabetic and cannot have dumplings, But they make a low low carb. flower tortillas. Problem solved… I’m going to try making this for her. I’ve often wondered how this would work out!!

Back
Top Bottom