chicken dust...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MVchickens, May 7, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    does it ever stop? I have 50 5 week old chicks in my coop. I converted half the shed to a coop and now all my gardening tools and mowers is covered with the nasty dust. does it stop or is that just a chicken thing?

2. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    it doesn't stop. maybe you can put up shower curtains or something to keep the dust on the chicken's side.

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    I agree that it doesn't stop...and it may get worse as they get bigger and have the ability to "kick" more stuff up. I apply Food Grade DE everywhere too, so my environment is worse that some others!

4. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Good idea!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A lot of it is their dander as they grow in new feathers. I don't think my adults put out as much as the new chicks do, but my coop of mostly adults stays dusty, too.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They're extra dusty when they molt and growing chickens are constantly growing larger feathers, to cover their larger bodies. As adults, they molt at certain times, mainly in the fall, not all the time. New feathers are covered in a sheath that has to be removed, so the feather can unfurl. That sheath is the cause of a lot of dust and little bits that look like dandruff.

7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    It's also skin dander..I have noticed these chicks grow like 1/4 inch a day, they are constantly sloughing off old skin cells and making new ones to cover there larger bodies..

8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I use De also and I have about 1/4 dust on everything everyother day.. yucky but its chickens..

9. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I haven't done Spring cleaning yet but there seems to be a good 1/4 inch of dust on everything out there! And the chicks have been in the house until just the last few weeks. So it has to be a chicken thing in general. I always wear a face mask when I do anything that stirs up the dust, cleaning, or scooping the poop off the board under the roosts...or scraping the roosts themselves to get rid of the dried on poop.

10. LoreleisMama

LoreleisMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    My MIL insists that this dust is dangerous to breathe. Does anyone know the answer to that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by