Chicken dusting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by waskablue16, Nov 23, 2016.

1. waskablue16

waskablue16 New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    What are some safe things I can offer to my chickens to dust themselves in the winter? They usually dust outside in the dirt, but we have snow on the ground now.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have a baby pool in the barn and also the bottom half of an old ferret cage, both work well as dust baths. I fill ours with clean top soil and mix in some playsand, or Diotamaceous Earth (food grade kind), or wood ashes, or Insectrin dust. I'm not very scientific about the proportions, I just throw in some of whatever of those things I have, but they use it anyway. I don't like to use chemicals, but I'll add some Insectrin powder if it seems like they are getting a lice problem. Wood ash works well mixed in the bath...the lye in the ash kills the lice. Or so I've read. It seems to. We use two dustbaths located in different places, so that hopefully everyone gets a chance to use one or the other.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I scooped up a bunch of dirt from where they normally dust bathe and put it in a 18x24x10 tub in the coop for when things freeze up.

I don't add DE or insecticide as I don't want them breathing that all the time.
    If they have lice, I dust each bird individually with insecticide.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I mix it in enough dirt so it doesn't kick up a lot of dust,. Same with the ashes. Been doing it for years and they are fine. We have 32 birds, and most are not easy to catch, so dusting individually doesn't really work for us and they end up breathing more insecticide that way, and so do we. I don't like using insecticide at all. Ashes work. great.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I'm trying to get an old tire from my grandfathers trailer that I'm going to fill up with peat moss

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Pretty much any dirt or dirt like substance is good.

My birds use the deep bedding in the coop for spa time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or a handy ash pile is always a draw, if you have a wood stove/burn pile/fire pit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but any type of dirt/soil is good for them to help keep themselves healthy.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They like dry dusty dirt for dust bathing, peat moss is good, or any dirt mix with that consistency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by