Chicken dying, cant figure out what from.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by craftbug1021, Oct 3, 2011.

1. craftbug1021

craftbug1021 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    have a black silkie rooster his name is Bert. We have been thru leg mites, His legs look great now, but he doesnt. He has been withdrawn from the flock for about 4 weeks, thought it was because of new White rooster I introduced. then noticed he was loosing the down feathers off his neck. Now his neck looks like old chicken skin real yellow and he is a silkie so he should have blue skin. His was always more black than blue. Now all his skin is white, his comb is black instead of red. His ears are silver instead of blue. He is not going to make it but I am just wondering what he may have to make sure the others dont come down with it. Everyone else seem fine. The other bird who had the worst legs of all Maxine she is fine and her legs are great now too. I have tried the Vetrx from TSC and oiled his neck with it for the last several days. I have him in a tote in the house because its cool here today but he is just sitting with his head face first on the bottom, cant get him to eat or drink and He isnt passing anything. I have had him a year he was full grown when I got him but I dont believe he is over 2 but not sure.....anybody have a clue??

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Have you wormed your chickens?

3. craftbug1021

craftbug1021 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    no I haven't never knew of my Grandmother worming hers either so I havent these. I live in the country and we have wild turkeys so I am thinking this was a mistake not to worm them. you hear so much bad about either way...... trying to be all organic, trying to just do something simple and raise chickens...not so simple anymore

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Black comb - sadly it sounds like he is not getting enough oxygen and could be in heart failure [​IMG]
    JJ

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1
    You might ask a vet to do a fecal test for worms on your other chickens for a small fee. Worms can make chickens anemic and kill them, as can mites. I agree with jjthink also.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As an emergency effort if you are able, a vet could hydrate and tube feed the poor little guy. The situation is so dire at this point that the ideal time for that was well sooner than now.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by