1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken dying in neighbor's yard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feather13, Aug 12, 2013.

1. feather13

feather13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Hi all,

I have a bit of an odd dilemma. We went out of town this weekend and while we were away, our chickens somehow got out of their run. One of them (a pullet whose wings I hadn't clipped yet) jumped over the fence into the neighbor's yard. I don't know when this happened since we left on Friday and just came back last night. She's clearly in distress as it's the middle of a southern California summer and there's nothing back there. Just dry grass and very little shade. I don't have a ladder long enough to reach her (it's about a 10 feet drop).

What would you do? I knocked on the neighbor's door, but no one came to the door and I rarely ever see him out back. I also called the ASPCA and they said there's nothing I can do about it (if I climbed over the concrete wall, that would constitute trespassing). It's hard to see her dying back there, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance!

2. pappy1264

pappy1264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    I would have already been over the wall and got her back.

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    First I would get some food and water to her.....drag a hose or just pour a bucket of water over the fence. Then find a teenager or someone, that you can lower down to her. If there is a gate, use it and leave a note for your neighbors. If your neighbors are nice at all they will understand....and if not who cares??

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

x2 pappy, I would have gotton some help ( if need be ) from a friend and gone over and gotten her.

5. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Thanks! Good idea about the hose. I'm going to do that right now. The neighbor has a locked gate leading to the backyard that is quite tall and not transparent (with no footholds), but I left a note for him. If I jumped down the concrete wall dividing our property I wouldn't be able to get back out and don't want to take a chance on not being able to leave by the front gate either since it seems to be locked with a key. I live in a "rough" urban neighborhood where many of my neighbors are gang members and every once in a while I see people in the front yards with guns, so I don't feel comfortable hopping over the fence or sending someone else back there. But I really appreciate your advice! I'm at a loss as to what to do and hope she can hold out until he gets home from work.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Yeah....getting shot would suck!!!

Hopefully she will cool down and perk up with the water and food. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

hmm.. it does seem to be a little more difficult than we think to get her back.

I hope you can get her back and all goes well. Good Luck.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you borrow a ladder from someone? Heat does and will kill chickens. Usually even the most hardened criminal has a soft spot for animals. I personally would have been over that fence regardless of who didn't like,that being said,I do understand your hesitation. Best case is the garden hose as someone suggested.

9. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    THANK YOU! I've lived in lots of places where I could have popped over the fence or just let myself in the backyard. I'm new to the neighborhood (only two months), so haven't met the backyard neighbors and don't want to get shot or scare anyone. I lowered some food and water down to her (don't know why I didn't think of that... duh... just been kind of freaked out by the whole thing!) and she seems to be doing better. I haven't seen any hawks, raccoons or possums around here, so she should be ok overnight. If I don't hear from the neighbor tonight, I'll buy a very long ladder tomorrow morning first thing and jump down to get her. I don't feel comfortable asking anyone else to do that because of safety issues.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you entice her to fly back over fence with treats? Have you checked the perimeter of the fence,look for any openings that she may be able to crawl under,entice with treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by