Chicken dying will be putting down soon...very sad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeB, May 25, 2019.

1. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it's posted in the wrong spot.

I have a beautiful and sweet RIR that is showing all the signs of ovarian cancer. There is no point in prolonging her suffering. The earliest I can take her in is Tuesday, so at least I have the weekend to say goodbye.
    She's not quite 3, which makes it all the more difficult. I feel like I barely got to know her and thought I would have had her for a few more years. My poor chicky chick. I already miss her.

CaramelKittey and Sequel like this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I feel for you. A vet is likely to be pricey for the procedure and depending on where you're located, your state poultry diagnostic lab will humanely euthanize and then perform a necropsy and tests so you will know exactly what is killing her and possibly for the same amount of money.
    What state are you in?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    In CA. They do free necropsies here. I'm not sure about euthanasing. The vet is waving the appointment fee and only charging for the euthanasia.

Sequel and ChickenCanoe like this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's great but it would still be good to know exactly what the malady is.

California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory
    University of California, School of Veterinary Med
    620 West Health Science Drive
    Davis, California 95616
    Phone: 530-752-8709

I almost always send my sick or dead birds for a necropsy but then again, mine are extremely rare so it is absolutely necessary for me to know. Luckily no virulent diseases yet.

5. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Definitely will be taking her to be necropsied right afterward at the local UC lab.

Sequel and ChickenCanoe like this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I figured a state like CA will have more than the one lab I gave info on.

7. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Reread your post
    Mine have always been cancer, tumors, interal laying, too. I'm almost positive that she has a tumor, too. All the symptoms of my other ones. I don't want her to suffer anymore. It breaks my heart, though.

Sequel likes this.
  8. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I am so sorry for what you are dealing with. I would be heart broken as our chicks and chickens are family and our pets. Lots of hugs!

9. SeaHen

SeaHen Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I’m so sorry. Has the vet confirmed nothing can be done for her? I’ve had chickens and waterfowl most of my life and the loss of them never gets easier for me. My very first chickens were 3 Rhode Island Reds and it’s my favorite breed to this day. She’s lucky to have been so loved and cared for. <3

10. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I'll see during the exam. But, I been through this enough times with chickens and other pets to know heroics don't usually work and just prolong their suffering.

Had to put down a cat with a long-term illness last week, too. They always seem to die at once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: