Chicken eating eggs....what do I do??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3scorpios, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 3scorpios

3scorpios Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    I searched and could not find a thread on this subject, so forgive me if I'm posting a repeat.

I just got my chickens yesterday (six hens, about 5 months old). Tonight as they were going into the coop I noticed one of the hens was eating the remains of an egg inside the coop. Does this mean she will always eat eggs? Is there a way to break her of this habit?

2. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Hasnt happened to me (thank god) butI heard you blow the eggs and put mustard in them, they wont like the taste and will stop. Then again, maybe they would like it.....

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:I would try this - I stock up my nestboxes with golf balls and plastic easter eggs (also to encourage them to go broody). When I moved my hens to a new coop, it stopped, then when I moved the same egg-eating hens back a few months later they never started again besides the occasional chance egg that gets laid in the run and gets broken (by being stepped on, smacking the wood, etc..).

Chickens don't have heat sensors on their tongue, so hot foods don't work but mustard or maybe just mud would work:lol:

MW

4. 3scorpios

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:I would try this - I stock up my nestboxes with golf balls and plastic easter eggs (also to encourage them to go broody). When I moved my hens to a new coop, it stopped, then when I moved the same egg-eating hens back a few months later they never started again besides the occasional chance egg that gets laid in the run and gets broken (by being stepped on, smacking the wood, etc..).

Chickens don't have heat sensors on their tongue, so hot foods don't work but mustard or maybe just mud would work:lol:

MW

Thank you. Since golf balls in the nest is a lot easier than mustard in an egg (and much less messy) I think I'll give that a try. Since I just got these chickens I don't know if the egg-eating is an established habit or a new occurrence. By the time I saw it the only thing left of the egg was a small piece of shell.

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    If you got a chicken that eats eggs - cull it - before it shows the others that eating eggs is the in thing - [​IMG]

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

were they eating the egg in the nest box or on the coop floor? Maybe it just got laid in the wrong spot and hit the floor and cracked. I was collecting the neighbors eggs and I accidently dropped an egg and that was all it took. The chickens were on it like white on rice. BUT, they did not touch any of the eggs while they were in the nest boxes.

7. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Another thing - make sure they are getting enough calcium so their eggshells aren't thin and they don't break as soon as they are laid.

8. 3scorpios

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:I was able to collect two eggs before the eating incident and the shells were very hard, so I don't think the eggs are soft. I am giving them oyster shells with their food to make sure they are getting calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by