Chicken Eating Eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken-keeper, May 11, 2009.

1. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    At first i took it as an accident, but now its best happening for 2 weeks, one of the hens has been pecking at some of the eggs every day..... i have been told to colect the eggs often, but most days i cant as im at work and collect them at around 6pm any ideas to stop this sucker eating them?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Try putting wooden eggs or golf balls in the nest box the next time you collect all the eggs. Your hen will peck at them and realize that nothing good comes out of them, and HOPEFULLY [​IMG] she'll leave the real eggs alone. Another idea is to blow out an egg and then fill it with Tabasco sauce or some other horrible (but non-toxic) tasting stuff. Maybe that will help?
    The last resort is one that no one like to think about, but I'll tell you what, chicken does taste delicious, especially when it's fed raw eggs... GRR. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:[​IMG]

Great advice! The wooden egg thing worked like a champ for me. I had some pullets in with an older hen, and they went NUTS over her eggs... so I removed her to her own palace, and put a number of wooden eggs in with them. It was funny to see them go after the wooden eggs only to be disappointed. It worked like a charm, but I wouldn't have thought of the clever tobasco method if it hadn't.. so thank you!

4. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
  5. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    ok thanks for the help ! [​IMG]

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Get ceramic eggs... she'll get a heck of a surprise pecking solid rock.

7. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Quote:will do [​IMG]

8. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    a good friend of mine told me to take the broken eg shell and place salt and mustard in the shape of an egg yolk, when the chicken tastes it she wont like it and wont do it again

9. Mine eat them only if they get cracked when layed. Or if they fall on the floor and split. Other than that they dont actively seek to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by