1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by awaxt2003, Jan 31, 2013.

1. I recently collected 6 chickens from a family member,now I am finding broken and just pieces of eggs,usually 1 or 2 a day. Should I isolate the new culprit? Can I teach it to stop? Will it teach the others!?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If the chicken is the one eating the egg it could teach the others its naughty habit. However, when I have dirty eggs I toss them into the run for the chickens to eat, they gobble up EVERYTHING, shell and all. I would make sure mice or some other pest hasn't made its way into your coop. When I had a mouse problem, I would find egg shells left behind that were licked clean if the insides. Good luck.
    Nikki

3. Thebirdwisperr

Thebirdwisperr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    I would say try to get fake eggs. I think it makes it so they can't break the fake ones and so they think can't break the real ones. I have had the same problem and cured it using fake eggs. If that doesn't work try to separate her and get her eggs the second she lays them so she forgets to break them.

Good Luck,
    Thebirdwisperr.
    P.S. Try to cure her or separate her as soon as possible or she could teach the whole flock! I had this happen and used the said cure to stop them.​

3 people like this.
  4. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    i was told to get an egg, make a few small holes and blow the yolk and white out. then replace it with strong mustard and put it back in the coop. the hens not eating eggs wont be affected but the guilty one will not like the taste.
    do this for a few days until the naughty chuck gets the idea!!

1 person likes this.
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chickens have no problems eating mustard (or chilies, jalopenos, and alot of other things considered strong and spicy)....
    Nikki

6. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    yuck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by