Chicken eating feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancysmith2, Sep 8, 2009.

1. nancysmith2

nancysmith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Why would a hen eat feathers she finds on the ground. They are small not full size feathers. But this seems weird.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    She needs more protein and feathers are full of it! Try giving her more foods rich in protein like scrambled eggs or sunflower seeds.

3. nancysmith2

nancysmith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks. I give her yogurt everyday but she does not love it like my EE does. I will try the sunflower seeds. She loves chicken. My husband says that is just plain mean. But, I give her small bits of chicken and tuna. Thanks again for the info.

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The tuna and chicken seem like good ideas too. And your welcome [​IMG]

5. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens will peck at just about anything in your yard....I guess it's just part of their nature....
    I had been servicing my coop and emptied a bag of layer mash, thrown the bag on the ground till I was finished and came back to get it, there were five hens busily pecking at the bag, standing on top of it.....the hens often peck at shed feathers in the yard so it's normal as far as I know....they love to follow the lawn mower around and get the bugs exposed by the mowing....

6. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    My 11 week old chicks eat feathers sometimes grabbing them before they hit the ground. I worry about how digestable they are. It can't be good for them, but theres no controlling it either.

How old are your hens? I can chalk my pullets behavior up to stupidity for now, but adult hens should know that they aren't that edible. Maybe it is a deficiency of some kind [​IMG] Good luck, I worry if the feather will come out the other end ok. [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not stupidity. As I stated above they need more protein. Doesn't matter what age. If they need protein, they need it.

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Thanks, guess its my stupidity [​IMG]

I really thought that grower pellet would have enough protein for them. [​IMG]

9. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    They / she needs protien! Give them, and I can't remember if it's dog, or cat food, I think it's cat, but I'm sure someone will catch me on it. Make sure your feed is right with all the ingredients,,,,,especially protien, for the age(s) of your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by