chicken eating frost?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Jan 26, 2012.

1. so I just witnessed my cute lil orpington look up at the top of the nest box which is covered in snow, peck at it 2 times eating frost then go back to eating the corn and bread we gave them. What is up with that? I've NEVER seen any of the other chickens do this and they had water so its not like she was thirsty. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

2. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Everyday that I let mine out, they spend more time pecking the snow and ice than they do eating the snacks I set out for them. They are funny! [​IMG]

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    After their first few shocks this winter, my chickens have taken to the snow. They seem to enjoy pecking at it and watching it fall.

4. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Curious chicken maybe. They seem to investigate everything else why not snow? [​IMG]

5. well we dont let them out because its too cold!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    How cold is too cold, in your opinion? I know we have folks in Alaska on these boards and there probably is such a thing as too cold but I know there are also folks in Florida who think they need to heat their coop in winter so I'm curious.

We had some of that snow-hail fall (the stuff that looks like dishwasher powder) and the chickens ran around pecking it up like it was scratch. Very funny to watch!

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I let my chickens out and they stomp around in the snow no problems. ;) I'm in upstate NY. And no, no heat if they aren't babies.

8. well in my opinion too cold is like -30 (it was -50 here for a while), we have it in there still, I don't know why, but my sis should really put vaseline on her chickens comb, its all black in the back.

we have some hay outside that the chickens love so I'll see if they will go outside

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by