chicken eating the cats food is that baddddddddddddddddd

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 9, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I go out in the morning and feed my barn cats then go say goodmorning to the girls and let them out to free range when the cats have thinned out the chickens go in the barn and eat the cat food. I s the cat food gonna bother the chickens?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    People sometimes give some cat food to their birds to increase protein, however, I think it is supposed to be limited because of the higher sodium content. I'm no expert, but I believe that is what I've been reading.

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    The ingredients in cat food shouldn't harm it any. There's excellent protein in it...31% in mine.

4. ChickieBerryFarm

ChickieBerryFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I use a really high quality, high protein cat food as a treat...they seem to love it and I can't imagine it would hurt every once in a while. It has higher protein than their food, which I would assume would be a good thing. I also use meal worms, which they love!!![​IMG]

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I think they will eat many strange things including cat food, both wet and dry! [​IMG] and [​IMG]

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

If we forgot to put the cat out of reach it was a race from the coop before the chickens got to the cat food. They knew where it was and loved it. I don't think a little will hurt them but it might be like scratch, chicken crack.

7. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Yay Chicks! :

People sometimes give some cat food to their birds to increase protein, however, I think it is supposed to be limited because of the higher sodium content. I'm no expert, but I believe that is what I've been reading.

x2
    My chickens eat it too and the protien is good for them when they are molting!​

8. iluv...

iluv... Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    California
    I was wondering also about that. One of my chicken will eat whatever is left after our cat is done eating.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My cats live in the coop with the chickens and the chickens LOVE the catfood! It never did them any harm either, my ducks like it the best though!

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There is always dust and crumbs in the bottom of a catfood bag that the cats turn their noses' up at; that goes to the chickens. Never had a problem other than the battles to be the first to get to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by