1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken eating their own eggssss, Help advice plz

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deedrahsue, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    So one of my older chickens laid an egg in the newest crops coop last night before dusk, I left in the smaller chicks coop hoping this will teach them, I have glass eggs in the coop as sort of training, everyone had been telling me my chicks probably aren't laying due to heat out here in Texas, but the large 3 I still have are laying. This morning in the AM when I went to let them out the older chicks egg is gone and the two glass are still there?????

It rained the passed weekend, and everything seems normal. I left the older chickens egg in their coop thinking this will aid in them laying, the egg is gone this morning and I am simply left to believe they ate it. My coop has two doors that remain locked, a open area in the top front of their coop for air, its closed with hardware wire, could they seriously be eating their own eggs? Jeez I feel so stupid if thats true, I've been giving them plenty of water, letting them out of the coop very early, they put themselves up about dusk. What the heck I am feeding chickens who are eating their own eggs?[​IMG] HELP!! [​IMG] Do I quit and start over? 8 months of this and I've gotten nothing!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Usually an egg eater will leave some shell and albumen/yolk residue.
    If the whole thing is gone you could have a snake, skunk, rat or something else that loves eggs.
    Try collecting frequently for a while.
    If you have an egg eater you have to stop them or cull. Add golf balls and egg size stones. If they peck them and get nothing they may quit.
    There's other methods but if the whole egg disappears I don't think it's a chicken.

3. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    Ok, I'll check that out, nope there were no shells, nothing, but they wouldn't lay at night would they? They are 8 months old and I have zero eggs. My coop has a sub floor of wood, and top layer of metal covered by hay, two doors that are locked at night, and a sliding door that must be lifted then pushed out to open the front has an area that is covered with hardware wire...........Guess I will have to further investigate, the two glass eggs are brownish in shade and they've been pecked. I have 13 chicks in my coop that was originally built for 8, but we lost many of our first crop due to predetors and we had assumed that would be the case this round......that is not the case we have all 13 non laying hen. Older 3 chicken are in a less sturdy coop still covered with hardware wire only boards on the top to keep things out and they are laying.....boggles the mind. Bless you thanks anyway :-( I will be praying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by