Chicken Eats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by teamsunbelt, Jul 31, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    There is a ton of post on here about what chickens will eat. Watermelons, meal worms, tomatos, noddles and whatever.

The question is, what will your chickens NOT eat?

Mine do not eat:

Green Onions
    Cooked Peas

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Melon guts. They will pick out every last seed, though.

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    potato peels

4. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Potato Peels
    Onions
    Peppers (bell peppers, mostly)

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Raw potato peels are poisonous to chickens.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Only raw potato peels with green on them are harmful.

I've been feeding raw potato peels to my chickens for years without any harm to them.

Mine love cooked peas.

They even love left over friend chicken... cannibals.

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    last year my chickers liked strawberries but not so much this year... I think the heat has changed their palate....... they do still love a good watermelon though..

8. coffee_brake

coffee_brake New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    Hi, I'm new. Raised in the country (lots of meat animals but not chickens), live in the city now with just four little Bantam Dominique hens in a home-made tractor. My girls are all about bugs but they won't eat strawberries, nor table scraps, not even peach peels. I boiled some small beef scraps up for them and they loved that, but not off of a plate, only if I wiggled and threw them, and made them move! I don't understand chickens yet but they won't even eat out of their feeder after a couple hours, they forget there's still food in it. Then they cry and holler for food, right here in the middle of town! If I just go touch the feeder for them, they attack it like they haven't eaten in days. Good thing they're pretty, they sure aren't very smart...

Anyway, they like bugs a lot, anything I can catch or make move, they jump right on it. I just wish they would eat all the table scraps...the raw stuff gets composted. They're laying well I guess, I don't know enough about chickens to tell. I get a couple eggs or more a day even in the middle of a terrible heat wave.

I've heard it's easy to raise blow-fly larva but I can't get any started in my cornmeal/molasses mush. Is there a better way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by