Chicken egg bound

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mark22baker, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mark22baker

mark22baker New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi my name is mark and I am new to this forum and new to keeping chickens I bought a light Sussex from a farm I was told she is about 2 years old I have had her for about 3 months now but I noticed a change 2day and I wondered if anyone could help me she hasn't layed since I have had her but I noticed today that she kept going into her nest a sitting for a bit then coming out but no egg also her vent seems to be panting and she is sitting more than standing is this normal? I have heard about egg bound I wasn't sure if these were the symptoms.

Thanks

Mark

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mark, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! There could be a couple of reasons she isn't laying. Most likely it is the short days we have in the winter. To be regular layers chickens need about 14 hours of light (natural and/or artificial). To put that into perspective, I have 18 hens and I collected 2 eggs today. Also, when chickens molt all of there energy goes to feather generation and egg laying gets put on hold. Another might be her age - could she be older than 2? They start slowing down with age. Not sure about egg bound but it does sound like she wants to lay. Hope she turns it on soon - good luck to you and Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. mark22baker

mark22baker New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you and happy new year to you. I did bear that in mind about the daylight hours but lady who I bought them from said they may lay every now and then in winter but what concerns me is the panting by the vent constantly I was worried if she did have an egg stuck maybe there would be something I could do to help

Many thanks

Mark

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] She may indeed be getting ready to resume laying. Keep us informed as to what happens.

5. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome. Not sure if this applies or not but I had read onetime that stressful events, like relocating, or basically anything traumatic to a chicken can put them off laying for a while, I would think by 3 months she would have calmed down enough and adjusted. It sure sounds like she is wanting to lay though.Is she your only girl? Sometimes being around another one that is laying can help stimulate a reluctant one to lay. It sure worked for our Easter Egger, her coop mate stimulated her into laying about 3 weeks earlier than expected. Hope she lays for you soon. Good luck...

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined.

7. mark22baker

mark22baker New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I have 2 other hens and I was told they would lay in February as they are still not fully grown they all seem pretty calm and they walk around freely during the day maybe she is just gettin prepared I just wondered if this was normal behaviour after not laying for a while

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by