Chicken Egg Eating Broody Hen ? Yep, I think so.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DDRanch, Aug 20, 2010.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I have never experienced any of my hens eating eggs until a couple of months ago. I read all about egg eaters on the forum and tried all different kinds of things to discourage them. I used golf balls, I bought fancy designer wooden eggs, I blew out eggs and re-filled with nasty tasting liquids, I rearranged my whole schedule (I know we all do this frequently [​IMG] ) to collect as soon as someone laid, I separated the hen I thought was the culprit (she was not) I added an additional 3 stations of oyster shell to the regular 4 troughs available 24-7, and other stuff I don't even remember.

Well, about the same time as the egg eating started, one of my buffs went broody. I was not concerned as this particular hen does this 2x a year. I never suspected her BUT as soon as she decided she had enough broodiness and got off her fuzzy little butt and joined the others, the egg eating stopped. No broken or eaten eggs for the last 2 weeks.

What do you think? Can I blame Mary Ellen? When we discussed this, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.......[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Convicted on circumstantial evidence. [​IMG]

I wouldn't talk to you either. [​IMG]

Imp- at least the egg eating has ceased. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by