Chicken egg fertilty/hatchability rate and time of year....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bellagracie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Bellagracie

Bellagracie New Egg

Jan 18, 2009
    Assuming fertile parents is there a seasonal fluctuation in egg fertility/hatchability? I know hens produce less eggs during a shorter day length(fall/winter) but are the roosters less likely to breed and/or fertilize ovulating eggs during certain times of year?

Do I put away my incubator for a few months and forget about hatching my own or shipped eggs for awhile?

I imagine extreme weather conditions and shorter day length will impact this, but with generations of domestication who knows. Well, I guess you guys with years of chicken raising experience might know.....

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    If you have a way to take care of the chicks in cooler weather, keep on hatchin'. Depending on your setup, this may mean keeping them in your house for a few weeks longer than you would have to in the spring/summer months.

As far as your hen laying, thats going to depend on some things such as breed, temperature, lighting, etc. Don't worry about the rooster, he will do his job 12 mos. of the year.

Marty

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. Bellagracie

Bellagracie New Egg

Jan 18, 2009
    Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Anybody else that can share their experience?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by