Chicken Egg Membrane

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickChic00, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ChickChic00

ChickChic00 Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Any way to make egg membrane softer?? Our chicken egg membrane is so hard we could drop them and they still wouldn't bust open. I have chicken eggs for hatching and 1 has fully developed but has died. It had a super hard membrane. Just like to know how to soften the membrane. Any help is appreciated!!

Maiahr likes this.
  2. Sagey_7878

Sagey_7878 Songster

Sep 1, 2017
    Australia
    Raise the humidity, that’s what I would do. Good luck! Sorry about the chick. :hugs

3. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Yes, raise the humidity. I use coconut oil but some would disagree that it dries the membrane. It has worked for me.

4. ChickChic00

ChickChic00 Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Wouldn't that drown the chick in the shell?

5. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Apologies, should've explained. I use earbuds and only apply coconut oil on the outer side of the membrane. I don't pour it inside.

6. ChickChic00

ChickChic00 Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Cool info! But I also meant raising the humidity. Wouldn't raising the humidity drown any others that I have?

7. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Mine are hatching as we speak, the first came out this morning, another 32 to go. The humidity in the incubator is 72% I can't stabilise it to a lower %. So at 72% - they will not drown.

ChickChic00 likes this.
  8. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

BTW I am now re-reading your post.. you had a fully developed chick that did not pip and died in the egg? There could be a thousand reasons why it died in the shell, does not mean the membrane is hard. Weak chicks are a result of many factors, including genetics...

ChickChic00 likes this.
  9. ChickChic00

ChickChic00 Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    It was from my black australorp hen and rir rooster. They are usually pretty hardy. I also have rir and isa brown crosses too. That's what I'm hatching. Rir x Isa Brown, Rir x Black Australorp, White Japanese Black Tailed Bantam x Partridge Cochin, Silver Duckwing Bantam x Self Blue Bantam. Cant wait to see what the bantams will look like once they hatch!

Maiahr likes this.
  10. ChickChic00

ChickChic00 Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    My humidity is at 58-62% Humidity and all but 2 are completely fine and hatching. Just the membrane to my eggs are so hard.

Maiahr likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: