Chicken egg or duck egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hatykuber, Feb 17, 2017.

1. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    I have two female ducks and two hens that live together, they all started laying on Valentine's Day. We had a male duck until just recently, so the duck eggs should still be fertile. We are going to leave the eggs and see if one of the ducks will go broody. There are four duck eggs in the nest. Yesterday, I went out to find the nest uncovered with a small chicken egg right in the middle. Today I went out and found the nest uncovered again, with what looks like a chicken egg in the middle, but it's HUGE. Bigger than the first two duck eggs, maybe even all of them. Is it possible this is actually a duck egg? My buff duck laid the white eggs, and my other duck is a khaki Campbell. So I'm wondering if it's possible this could be an egg from her, or just an oversized chicken egg. I'm new to chickens and ducks so anything is helpful. Thank you! [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Duck eggs feel different than a chicken egg......Hmmmmm?
    It looks like a Duck egg.....?

I really can not help you..

Best of luck!

3. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Yeah I think it feels like a chicken egg and is the same color as the other eggs my chickens have laid, but it's so huge that it's just hard for me to tell. Not sure if I should pull it or leave it in the nest

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You can pull it or wait till tomorrow and see if another brown egg is laid also...? Keep the chicken out if you can... ?

Cheers!

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It looks like a chicken egg to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by