Chicken egg production dropping off... in March?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by badmajon, Mar 8, 2013.

1. badmajon

badmajon New Egg

Sep 25, 2012
    I have 4 RIR hens that are about 8-9 months old now. This december, they laid their first eggs, and strangely enough, laid about 4 eggs a day until about a month ago. Then it was about 3 or 4, then 3, now sometimes I'm only getting 2.

Can someone explain what might be going on? Winter is over, spring is almost here, more daylight, and now they are slowing production?

2. myjunoli

myjunoli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    I have 3 hens. One Black Sex Link, an Easter Egger, and a RIR. I knew that Rhoda, the RIR, was the one who stopped laying. It wasn't until I noticed a worm in one of the poops [​IMG] that I figured it wasn't just the lack of sunlight (which I was supplementing anyway). It had been probably a month of her not laying.... I've treated them all with Wazine-17 first 10 days ago and then again today. Maybe your birds have a worm problem too....

Here's another question for the BYC community: About how long after worming before they start laying again?

TIA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by