chicken egg thief

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Found this big boy a few day ago gobbling down eggs. He's just a ratsnake so I let him finish and then took a road trip to let him go. 1st I took him to the cornfield across from my house like we have done all the others but this guy turned around and headed back.
    My rooster and 1 of the hens were ticked off by the snake. They are what got my attention b/c they were so loud. They had kicked all the bedding out. I had to pick Gravy up to get him out of the way so I could reach the snake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm sure your egg count will come back up now. [​IMG] Same thing happened to me last year and I was amazed at how many more eggs I got once the snake was gone. [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH MY If I seen a snake in my hen house I think I would call 911!!! [​IMG] I am SO afraid of snakes! EEK! That is one ugly snake!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Wow! I am glad you found it! Also glad you took it away and let it go.

5. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hm....I have had my egg count go down lately, and there is a big gopher snake hanging around the barn. I've never seen him in the coop. Would he be likely to climb up into the nest boxes to steal eggs?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Mulemom....yup! Grab him and take him for a road trip.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Mulemom wrote:

Hm....I have had my egg count go down lately, and there is a big gopher snake hanging around the barn. I've never seen him in the coop. Would he be likely to climb up into the nest boxes to steal eggs?

In my opinion, yes. Snakes can climb telephone poles and get into bluebird houses so I'm sure that if a hen can reach the box to lay, a snake can also reach it to steal the eggs.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by