chicken egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dexter316, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Dexter316

Dexter316 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    My chickens are not laying eggs and its realy hot does the chickens egglaying change depending on the weather?[​IMG]

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Lots of people do report a decline in egg production in very hot weather, yes. It seems that some hens do and some don't.
    Make sure you're girls are getting plenty of water, and try cold snacks like frozen watermelon and ice cubes [​IMG]

3. Dexter316

Dexter316 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    thank you very much for that answer i hope my chickens like a frozen buffet:)[​IMG][​IMG]

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Ice cubes? Like put them in a bowl, and let them eat them? I put ice water out there, but ice cubes? Can you enlighten as we are on a HOT/HUMID streak right now....need advice!

5. Dexter316

Dexter316 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    I dont think you feed your hens a bowl of ice just give them frozen water mellon or other fruits.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I put ice in their water pail on really hot afternoons, so it will stay cool for a bit when they drink from it. Of course, I'm in S. Georgia and it's been 100+ here, so the ice cubes don't stay frozen long!

7. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Mine are not laying yet (but close!) I've been giving them frozen corn cobs, frozen berries, or any fruit my kids don't finish. I toss it in the freezer and take it out at dinner. They go wild for it, and it seems to really cool them off. Frozen yogurt (which doesn't really freeze, just hardens a little) and anything else we can think of that they would like, we just toss it in to make it cold!

I also do ice cubes IN their waterer, so the water coming out is really cold. We're in South/East TN (near the GA line) and it's HOT here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by