Chicken eggs & duck eggs together

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bocapallranch, Jul 3, 2016.

1. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015
    Hi! I'm kinda new here and I have a bit of a question.

I have 15 silkie eggs in my incubator. (Brinsea Eco 20)

My friend gave me 5 duck eggs as her dog killed the mother .. I discovered only two of them were alive so they are currently in my bator with my chicken eggs. Day 21 for my chicks will be July 12. I hand turn 3x a day. Trying to guess what stage the duck eggs are at but in stumped. They have a small air sack at one end and veiny and dark in the rest. Definitely movement.

I'm just wondering the best way to go about turning and lockdown for the duck eggs? Obviously I don't want to ruin my chicken hatch so I am going to continue to turn and lockdown on day 18. What would you do? Will turning the duck eggs up until they hatch harm them?

Thanks for any insight!!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Just stop turning them when you see drawdown in the air cell, and you should be good... :)

3. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015

What is draw down?

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Around the time of lockdown when they start to move into position to pip, zip and hatch the air cell will tilt drastically down one side... that's drawdown... when that happens they will usually hatch in the next 2 or 3 days...

5. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015

Oh okay! One of the eggs is definitely down more on one side! The other not so much yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by