Chicken eggs set 6th of march, locked down today!! Exciting! Anybody else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MelD89, Mar 24, 2012.

1. MelD89

MelD89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Hi fellow chicken lovers!! I'm miles away in Australia and this is my first incubating and in a new fully automatic incubator :)
    I got a mixed dozen ordered online (arriving in the mail) a combination of silkies, Sussex, plymouth rock (pretty much every breed i can think of). And I also have a dozen light Sussex from a local friend.
    I went into lockdown today on day 18 and took the automatic turner racks out and laid all 24 eggs down on their sides. I had to eggs wiggling around as I lay them down :)
    How's everybody else progressing??? Keen to talk with others as I'm very new to this. I have the temp set at 37.5 degrees Celsius and 65% humidity. Sound about right??

Talk soon
    Mel

2. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Very good! How exciting! :)
    I can't wait for an update. [​IMG]

3. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    I've got 8 Lavander Orps. and 2 mille cochins on lockdown today. Good Luck with your hatch!

4. gatorridgechics

gatorridgechics Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    I set 30 (mixed) RR on3\6 we are supposed to go into lock down tonight. I've candled one to two times a week. I can clearly see the air sac in each egg, and a "shadow". But no details or movement. The eggs are very Brown. Is this normal to not see detail or movement? I am so nervous. this is my first hatch ever. I feel like I did when I was pregnant....I have 30 little lives depending on me to do this right!!! Needless to say I am a wreck, and this wasn't even my idea. My DH is the one who showed up one day with our 3 Bantams. I was the one who said "oh no! this is your thing chicken man'.
    Look at me now, I am so in love. To top my nerves off, someone in the house added 4 eggs from our Bantams with out me looking. They are due Easter! Or around there.....
    All I can say now is AAAAAHHHHH!!!! I love reading y'alls posts and hearing of the sucess, however it makes me even more manic. Send some happy thoughts our way, and good luck to y'all!

Should I see movement in the egg? I can see a dark shadow "move" when I move the egg, but it is not moving on its own.

5. MelD89

Mar 24, 2012
    Well good morning everybody and thanks so much for th rePlies! It's great to have others here with me :) so its the 19th day for me today and no movement or excitement to post thus far :( its so nerve racking and i can't stop looking in the incubator! I'm going crazy haha. My incubator only has 4 like port hole windows to see in the top so of course I'm wishing I had a completely clear lid :( I think the hardest part is not being allowed to open the lid lol.does anybody have any progress updates???
    Talk soon
    Mel

6. MelD89

Mar 24, 2012
    Ps I think it's normal not to see any movement in the egg at this stage as they r so crowded inside the egg :)

7. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    I don't lock down till 8pm central standard time. I am going to candle one more time tonight. The only excitement I have to report is about my 4 little bantam eggs. They were snuck in on me. I did candle one today and saw the veining. These 4 are from our own small flock. So they are really REALLY special. lol I am so nervous. I literaly can not get anything done. What kind of incuator are you using? And how are you measuring humidity?

8. MelD89

Mar 24, 2012
    So from what I can see (which is very limited with just four small view holes) I have two eggs that I can see wiggling a little :) how long do you guys thInk it will take for them to hatch now that I can see them wiggling? Or does that not really make any difference? Some of the mixed dozen I asked to be silkies (the fluffy ones? Is silkies the correct term?) I have read online that sometimes they can hatch early?
    In response to your question I am running a fully automatic incubator I bought online, it doesn't actually say what brand it is but says 'type JN8-48'? And it has a built in auto temp n humidity screen.
    It's 12:37pm on Sunday the 25th of march here in Australia so it's lunchtime :)
    Any word or news on anybody else's hatchlings??

9. MelD89

Mar 24, 2012
    Also is anybOdy else totally confused when looking on the Internet for answers on temperature and humidity? I currently have my temp for day 19 set at 37.5 degrees celcius and approx 62% humidity. Does that sound ok for the last three days? The first 18 days I had it set at 37.7 degrees celcius and about 55% humidity. All 24 remaining eggs had moving chicks inside when I last candled them at day 17. Sorry about all the questions it's just so nerve racking to get this far along and then lose them would be awful

10. gatorridgechics

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    Your around 18 hours ahead of me. I just got done candeling one last time before lockdown. I still don't see any movement, but from most of the answers I have gotten that is normal with the darker shells. My bantams look really good, I am just keeping my fingers crossed for the other 29. I took several pics when I candeled and will try to upload them later. For now I am going to sleep and try to not dream of chickens all night. The other night I drempt I hatched a puppy! Your temps and humidity sounds right to me as that is what I have read as well. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by