Chicken eggs under duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by into_my_web, Aug 22, 2010.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Am I able to put some chicken eggs under a broody duck that has been sitting on eggs for roughly a week?

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    How old are the chicken eggs?

3. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Fresh, just layed.

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    What type of duck is it? Does it act devoted to hatching the eggs? If it does, it might hatch them, but if it refuses you should put the eggs in an incubator. Also it might start sitting, but when its ducklings hatch either it will abandon the chick eggs or keep sitting. If it hatches the eggs, it might not keep the chicks though.

5. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I didn't realize some of the eggs my duck was sitting on were chickens until they hatched. The three chicks were a week earlier than the ducks and I had to take them away because I've heard she would take them swimming and they would drown. Not only that but I wanted her to keep sitting on the duck eggs. It worked out well, I just had to brood the chicks. It turned out that she abandoned the baby ducks - she was chased off by cats. I ended up brooding all of them together.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yup, ducks can hatch chicken eggs just fine. But as has already been mentioned--you'll have to raise the babies yourself, because she'll drown them trying to teach them to swim. Of course, you could also just confine her & the babies to an area that does not have swimming water. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by