Chicken Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harmony farm, Sep 14, 2016.

1. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi All

I know probably a bit late in this question, but here is goes and hope to get a rapid response. I have chickens eggs in incubator now day 20 (in a Couple of Hours) no movement or pips, do you think its all over, some reason I have no success in chicken eggs but no problem with quail eggs. I am starting to get really annoyed. Help anyone ?

Thx Chris

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Have you ever checked your thermometer/hygrometer for accuracy? Do you have a still air incubator or forced and what have your temps and humidity been throughout the incubation?

I wouldn't count them all out just yet. If the temps were slightly off they could be delayed. I have never done quail eggs, but I would assume that quail eggs would hatch better at a higher humidity, mainly because of their size than chicken eggs which often fair better at a lower humidity. I can give you a couple links that you can take a look at. One is my overall chicken hatching method,(from a hands on perspective the other is a help with humidity and how to judge when and if you need to adjust. Hopefully they might help in determining your problems.

http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

http://hatching411.weebly.com/

3. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What has your temp and humidity been? Did you candle to look for signs of developing embryos? How often have you been turning them?

4. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi all

Thx for replying, temp been 37.6 through out, humidity 45 to 50 18 days then 65 current, autimatic turner, i had about 49 eggs but from what i seen and knowkedge i have (which is minimal). Only about a dozen look fertile

5. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Thx Amy that link was really informitive if nothing evolves this time ill be sure to implement as described

Thx chris

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's a forced air incubator??

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You're welcome. I hope you get something to hatch this time around though! [​IMG]

8. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    That makes 2 of us lol

1 person likes this.
  9. harmony farm

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    hi Folks

Now day 21 nearly and not even a pip,i have another incubator ready to go , i once read on a thread to choose the right eggs before putting them in, unsure fact or fiction. , im unsure still or do i just put all in. i have included some pics of candling the eggs i have collected any ideas ? . Im starting to get really frustrated. this time i got advice from Amy on a link which i was going to try this time. Advice and help required please.

Thx Chris

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The third picture is a porous egg. Many people won't set porous eggs, I've set a few like that, that have developed and hatched with no problems. The only eggs I wouldn't set are, deformed eggs, eggs with fragile shells. dirty eggs and eggs that vary greatly in size. As long as they are generally the same size (I wouldn't mix banty with jumbo sized eggs) and have good shells and the air cells look good, (I had a hen that for a while the air cells were actually detached, no idea why) I would set them. Generally you are going to have a couple that make it to lockdown and not hatch. We can't give each individual egg the optimal conditions because eggs are different. Periodically you get your 100% hatches, but more often than not you loose a couple, so set what looks good to you and best of luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by