1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DaKid, Oct 23, 2008.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok not sure where to post this ; so here goes

my wife ask me this question can I ( or she) take the or x amount of eggs and mix them up and place them in the refer. in a container a head of time so when she wants to make scramble eggs then there done already like the one you would buy in the store ( egg beaters or something like that)

if so how many do this and how long will they last in the referg. a week ....... less then a week ....... more than a week .....wife just trying to cut cooking and cracking time down LOL

TALK TO ME FOLKS

2. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    fresh eggs will last about a month just sitting on your counter, about 3 months in the fridge ~ if you can keep from eating them up. Just store them pointy side down, in a paper egg carton.

Or, if you have a very serious overload of eggs, you can always break them individually into a large ice cube tray & freeze them, then pop them out & put them into freezer bags, and just thaw out the ones you need when you need them. They may not be perfectly like fresh, but they will beat the heck out of dried. (Be certain that you don't have any strong odors going when you do this, it wouldn't do to have meat/ spicy food smells frozen into your eggs ~ we have a freezer for meats & soups, tamales, & that sort, and a freezer just for produce, such as fruit waiting to be canned, pies, chocolate, freezer jams, & the like.)

Another fine trick is to give them away by the 1/2 dozen to favored neighbors ~ make sure they are nice & clean before handing them off. Not only will you gain neighbor points, but you might even score some fresh cookies once in a while as a result!

As to those egg-beaters ~ I never did buy them ~ seems like a waste of money ~ how hard is it to whip up the eggs? lol,lol But you never know, I DO use pre-minced garlic when I am cooking, and some folks would balk at that ~ so there yah go ~ different strokes for different folks!
    ~Red

3. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    THANKS

well the wife just thought as working people as of most and to save time ( remember she new at this fresh egg and pro poultry thing she a city folk ya know , I’M A FARM BOY FROM WAY , WAY BACK , so she just want to know if she could get the eggs ready so call for a few days to a week in advance , so she or I could just pour and cook if wanted said scramble eggs with stack for supper ...........seeems lately fried or scramble eggs have been the latest of all topic of supper

fried or scramble eggs and steak
    fried or scramble eggs and linguica sandwiches
    fried or scramble eggs and / or with spaghetti
    fried or scramble eggs and /or with macaroni
    fried or scramble eggs and/ pork chops
    fried or scramble eggs and sandwiches you name
    well you get the picture eggs and eggs and more eggs I have never eaten more eggs in my last 1 and a half yrs . then my whole life of ?????????? well I close to 50 yrs of age

so like i stated just wondering how long if she crack and beat them and re -refef . them how long they would last in a close container

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It takes less than 1 min to scramble an egg. You create more work for yourself and dirty dishes trying to store them pre-scrambled. Also the eggs will absorb flavors from your fridge and won't taste fresh when you cook them. It really isn't advisable to pre crack them a week in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by