Chicken embryo day 7 incubation- Graphic pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Squawkbox, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    One of my eggs (had a detached air sac too) had a dark red blood ring, so I cracked it open, and this is what was in it [​IMG] [​IMG]. Does it appear to have died a while ago? Is it normal for it's head to have that bubble coming out of it? Poor chicky [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    your pictures made me cry, (I'm sorry I get really emotional about animals) I'm pretty sure it had already died. poor thing.

3. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    I felt so bad for it! I candled and waited and waited for movement (even though the blood ring was huge and dark) just to make sure.[​IMG]

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    poor chick [​IMG] you must have a lot of gut. I wasn't even there and I cried.

5. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    I am attached to the eggs (kinda dumb) so, I did feel bad, but I knew I had to take it out so thought I might as well crack it. It's sad though because this chick was from my partridge Cochin roo and partridge Cochin hen so I was looking forward to their chicks, and only have a few more of that combo in my incubator. Oh well.

6. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    What did the egg look like when it was candled? Did it have veins? Reason I'm asking is that I just candled 38 eggs. All were veiny except 1 (day 7). I assumed it was just a yolk. Opened it up & looked something like yours...could see the eye. Assuming (hoping) I didn't kill it (?)!

7. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    It had a dark red wavy looking ring around the circumference of the egg and has some faint looking veins, but nothing compared to the other ones. I almost didn't crack it because of that, so I held the egg above my head (on it's side) with the light shining under, so that I could see the embryo against the shell and it wasn't moving where as all the others are, so I knew it was dead. I could see the embryo floating around as a black blob thing if I rotated the egg, and the contents were not clear it was kind of darkish. Bleh. Hope that helps??

8. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    o.k. Mine looked totally empty except for something floating (not dark). Assumed it was the yolk. No veins at all.

9. Squawkbox

Dec 25, 2011
    I have 5 eggs like that right now. I'm gonna keep them in there a few more days I think. I now have only 13 "good ones" and 5 "not sure".
    So you are saying that yours had no veins just a floaty (was it the yolk?) but you cracked it and it DID have an embryo?

10. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Looks to me like it had died recently (day wise). Sorry for the loss. I know it's hard. [​IMG]I think it looks normal. Not sure about the bubble. Your first picture, WOW, looks like a text book photo of the central nervous system?? Just a really good pic, so wanted to compliment you on that.

I've come to recognize that fateful blood ring. [​IMG] I try to tell myself that there was something wrong with the chick, that it was nature taking it away before it could grow to suffer from x, y, or z.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by