1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Emergency Medical kit? Important!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stormylady, May 28, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Ok, I have an Emergency kit alway available for my dogs just in case. Well I was wanting to put one together for the chickens, Anybody want to help me out please and give me some basics of what are the most important things I should have in there? Also a quick question on Terramycin, I was going to put it in the box but I didn't read that instructions well enough , because it says do not administer to chickens and Turkeys that produce eggs for human consumption(Which is on of the main reasons Im raising the girls up). It doesn't give a time line as to when you can continue (if ever eat the eggs of the hens that have been on this, should I toss this antibiotic, and get something new or does anybody know if after a certain amount of time it is safe to eat the eggs? Thanks so much, Sandy

2. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have seen many on here recommend that you not use the terramycin as it has been used so much as a preventative, making it almost useless. There is a withdrawal period for the eggs with any antibiotic but I think it depends on which ones used. There was a great thead awhile back about putting one together, I will see if I can find it.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thankyou Jenni2142

4. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There are already quite a lot of threads on this subject, many very good. Use the 'search' utility, try 'first aid kit' or 'emergency supplies'.

have fun,

Pat

6. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Thank you for finding a link jenni2142!

This is something I've been meaning to do. Hoping it's more like Murphy's Law - if I'm prepared I won't have to use it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by