Chicken emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunFlowertheHen, Feb 3, 2015.

1. SunFlowertheHen

SunFlowertheHen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    I have 13 chickens and a few days ago a dog got into the coop and tore 2 of my hens up. Me and my sister performed emergency surgery and we had to sew them up. The patches we had to sew were all the way down to the muscle. It has been a few days now and they seem to be acting fine. The areas we sewed them up have scabbed on the edges. But I am worried that Pepper may have gangrene. There are some green patches around the injury that lead me to that idea. Sunflower is my favorite hen and she is the other one to get hurt. She looks better than Pepper but she isnt acting normally. She is usually a loud talkative hen but she is very quiet and reserved now. One other thing I forgot to mention is that Pepper smells really really bad. But they have been walking around and eating and drinking fine. I really would like some advice.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances. Bruising in chickens will result in a dark green coloring so what you are saying may very well not be gangrene. With such injuries it is sometimes better to leave them open to the air rather than suturing them. That way you can cover the wound with antibiotic ointment and they will heal from the 'outside in'. Hopefully there is no infection beneath the skin flaps. If the wounds are closed quite tightly, you may want to remove a suture or two at the lowest point of the wound. That way the wound can drain if needed. Since they are eating, drinking and basically acting normally, I think you have a very good chance that they will recover.

3. SunFlowertheHen

SunFlowertheHen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Ok that is very helpful. I will see about that. There isnt any muscle damage although they both walk with a pronounced limp. The sutures are not super tight. Should I get pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by