1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken enclosure

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelle59, Jul 25, 2012.

1. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I have the opportunity to get a coop with 6 hens for 100.00. The person is even willing to deliver it. Problem/question...Where I want to put the coop is in the back corner of my yard which has the back dog ear fence, another side of the outdoor building and other side is the privacy fence so I would have to fence in the front facing area does this make sense. I would have to put chicken wire around the bottom of dog ear fence and use a tarp for a top. What can be used for inexpensive fencing..I went to the hardware store and lowes and wander for ideas. I don't have a post digger for post and I can only spend max about 50.00 if not less. I also don't have a stapler to staple or really the tools to build a fence. Ideas.....

2. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    What kinds of predators might visit your yard? Do you have dogs?

3. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    check craigslist for outdoor dog kennels, chainlink fencing, etc.

you don't have to have post hole diggers to set posts.....you CAN use a shovel, and tamp the dirt down around the posts as you back-fill.

Landscape timbers sometimes go on sale for $1-2/each and are treated/wolmanized for ground contact so you don't have to worry about them rotting out.

If you have a Menards near where you live, check there for fencing.....I was finding hardware cloth for $10 for a 2ft x 50ft roll all summer.

4. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    The yard is about a postage stamp size and completely fenced in. Yes I have dogs the front facing area is about 4 ft that I want to fence in. I have to figure out some kind of gate.

5. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Another place to look, Freecycle.org .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by