Chicken enrichment

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueJuniper, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    I have a relatively large backyard for my girls to roam around in and find bugs and that kind of thing, but I'm worried that they're not getting enough enrichment. Do any of you have any ideas of things that might make their lives a little more fun?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure what you mean?
    Stumps, dusting areas..A pumpkin or squash will holes for them to pick at...Roosts....

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Chickens aren't that complex. They seem to be perfectly content to have space to roam, bugs to dig and dust to bathe in. At least mine do. I don't think they need to be "enriched".

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

A compost scratching area maybe. All the things already mentioned are good.

Mine will try to stand on top of a coffee can that's on it's rolee side, it's pretty funny to watch. Same thing with 2 liters. But you don't want it to look like a junk yard.

Make the inside of the colorful for them. They see lots of colors, more than we do.

Some people make treat dispensers with water bottles, holes poked or drilled to accommodate treat dispensing.

I want to get my goats a chickens a wooden swing set with those stairs to climb! [​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

I think that's true for most of them.

Some of mine have a real curiosity and are always looking for ways to lead the others (who never thought of it yet) into trouble. Always looking to the top of the brooder, then top of the fence, then... Ruh Roh!

Chickens have two things on their mind, if they haven't hit puberty yet.... Food and oh ya, food! [​IMG]

6. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Thank you guys for your feedback; all of those are wonderful ideas[​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

With fall coming, leaf piles are great.

I also put a piece of cardboard on the grass and water it in real good. Leave it for a few days ensuring it stays moist. Then call them over ( mine respond to a loud, fast "bok bok"). It should be crawling with different worms or bugs. In the shade might work best.

Also I will turn over a shovel of dirt here or there. Where I don't mind seeing it and it will grow back soon. Sometimes I get lucky and hit a bug nest! Once, roaches. [​IMG] Needless to say the chickens enjoyed them. I can't pick up the shovel without being mobbed. And if I try to stick it in the ground, they stand right on top of where I just plunged it in.[​IMG]

Oh, I meant to make the COOP colorful inside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by