Chicken entertainment?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johnnalei, Dec 5, 2009.

1. johnnalei

johnnalei Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    I've had to keep my chickens in their coop/run for the past couple months (so no free ranging) and will need to keep them in the coop for a few more months. One of my chickens gets VERY loud and only quiets down if she gets some sort of treat. It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact I have lots of close neighbors. Does anyone have tips on things that would entertain chickens? I've seen the thing where you hang cabbage, and I will try that. Anyone do anything else? Thanks for the tips!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    throw a bale of hay in the run. they love picking through it and it helps keep down the mud

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have close neighbors too, so I am attentive to noise issues with the chickens.

Sorry, I do the treats thing. But to make them last a long time, I throw a few hand fulls of black oil sunflower seed into the wood shavings in the coop. They spend hours sifting and scratching through it to find them. I also give them a pumpkin or head of cauliflower or brocoli and they spend the day picking them apart.

When I had more hens than my coop/run could comfortably accommodate in the run, they were a bit noisier. Once there were less chickens and there was more space per hen, they were also a little quieter.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:even a bale of straw keeps them busy for days and days on end, then throw some scratch on top . . .
    I don't even break it open

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Quote:I was wondering if you gave it to them whole or if it was broken up with a food processor a bit or something?

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I throw my BOSS in whole. They LOVE them... like chicken candy.

Good healthy treat for them in moderation lol I use it as a bribe when I have to put them to bed early. They will dig to china looking for those silly seeds!

7. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    I held out a handfull of it today for their first time and all but of course my barred rocks looked at me like I was a nut lol.

8. johnnalei

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    Hmmm, I think the bale of hay idea will work quite well. Thanks for the ideas!

9. johnnalei

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, and what is BOSS?

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Would like to know to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by