chicken Entrance closed or free access?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UtePassChickens, Dec 6, 2016.

1. UtePassChickens

UtePassChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    My question is whether it is necessary to open and close the coop entrance with a sealed door day and night? Originally I was and as it got colder... the coop seemed to get farther and farther away...so I have been leaving the little trap door they use open and covered it with a piece of "wool like" moving blanket. they come and go through it easily...love to learn others ideas, knowledge and experiences though... .[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your run is NOT predator proof, so that daily trek to fill feeders, waterers, and open and close the doors will be essential for the survival of your flock. Disasters happen; been there, done that. Mary

3. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    oh yes run is thus far predator proof, so far have had a black bear and grey fox attempt entry. then we have 1" poultry wire buried 12" out and then about 2' up the chain link.

4. UtePassChickens

Mar 30, 2016
    oh and i use the 5gallon bucket feeder and have 2 5gallon bucket water and soon will have a rain/snow collection up so water will be a thing of the past, presently I need only fill them about every 3-4 weeks. presently just have 5 chickens. gonna get 3 more in the spring and may get one ringneck pheseant rooster - been liking some of the hybrids i seen on line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by