Chicken Escape and No Roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Creteloc, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Creteloc

Creteloc Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    I have two questions.

First, my 7 week old pullets got out last night. Long story short, we had 80 mph wind bursts and their temporary shelter tipped just enough. The neighbors caught the Wyandotte but the Maran is MIA. We left their run open last night with a box shelter under their coop with a blanket inside but she didn't return. There's a torrential rainstorm and wind out there until this afternoon. We searched through the rain for hours without a sign. The Wyandotte screamed for the Maran most of the night, it was so sad. What are the chances the Maran will find her way home? They've lived in that temporary coop for about a week.

Second, my 3 month old pullets won't sleep on their roost. I can't figure out why. While searching for the Maran last night I peeked in on them using the flashlight and they were roosting on a 2x4 that I use to keep wood chips from falling out of the coop when I open the door. The 2x4 had fallen and was flat on the ground, so not much of a perch even. The roost I made for them was empty. Do you see any obvious reason why?

2017-11-04 16.54.28.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear about your lost girl. Hopefully she has found some shelter in some bushes and will return. The only thing you can do is try to find her once the storm has passed.

A for roosting - do you have the perches secured - they may feel a bit wobbly?
    Also, they may not like the rough wood - who knows, chickens can be picky at time.

Also your doorway - does that close at night? Could be where the 2x4 is located it's feel a bit more safe, secure and out of the wind.
    Just some thoughts. I hope you find your girl.

upload_2017-11-17_9-6-32.png

3. Creteloc

Creteloc Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    I thought they may like a rougher surface. The previous one was slippery and they wouldn't use it either. They beams are secured on the floor and on the side to make it so they don't wobble. That door goes into an adjacent area the same size as this one, and that one has the door to the run that closes at night. I was hoping it'd make that back area warmer. I guess if they want to roost on the floor there's not a lot I can do about it.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Another thought is, if there is enough light to see? Do you have any photos of the whole thing?
    Show us where they prefer to sleep, it might give us a clue:)

Also, did your girl return?

5. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Those branches may be a bit small, my understanding is that chickens like something bigger to support their weight, a lot of people use a 2x4 with the 4 side on top for a roost, maybe they don't feel like the branches are supporting their weight properly?

6. Creteloc

Creteloc Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    No sign of her yet, and now it's snowing. It hasn't quit raining or snowing since she disappeared. I don't even know if she'd be able to find her own way home at this point. My daughter has cried non-stop since she left.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugsI'm sorry you haven't found her.

8. Creteloc

Creteloc Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    Now her coop-mate is missing. I'm starting to think a predator got them. I think it's that temporary coop I was using to integrate the two sets of two pullets. Poor little babies.

9. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Awe. Sorry to hear that.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oh No! I'm sorry to hear another one is missing. Is there a way to secure their housing to prevent a predator from taking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: