Chicken Escape results in death of chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joeyfender, Jan 15, 2014.

1. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    Last night I accidently left my chickens out in the run and they escaped through a hole in the mesh wiring. All were put back into the coop except one of my golden-sexlinks, Poppy. Poppy was killed by one of my dogs

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    That's too bad. Sorry about that. I had that happen with the first five chickens, only my dog killed all but one of them!

3. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    My neighbors dogs came on to my property and killed 4 of my ten birds while they were out free-ranging, including my new French Black Copper Marans rooster that was just beginning to do what roosters do. Three weeks later a hawk made dinner from one of my French Blue Copper Marans hens. You can't be too safe.

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas

Oh wow. I am so sorry

5. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Thanks Chynasparks... in a way I'm glad it happened now while my flock was small. It opened my eyes because I'd begun to think that everyone else was doing something wrong since I'd been keeping chickens for 8 months without any issues before anything like this happened. It made me realize that we're all vulnerable to predation. Fortunately my coop is pretty solid and (knock on wood) predator proof. It's only when they're in the pen or free ranging that they are subject to attack.

6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

A hole in your run fence large enough to let a chicken out, I wondered how many predators could use the same hole to get in?

7. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    It was in the top,
    It was in the top, to keep the chickens from jumping out. Ironically, the dogs keep away any large birds or coyotes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by