Chicken escaped and found the neigbors coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoPo76, Nov 14, 2014.

1. PoPo76

PoPo76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2014
    Long Island, New York
    I have a 6 foot stockade fence around my entire yard. Yet my chickens still get out. They do always come back, however, there is one thing I'm not sure about.

I noticed a neighbor about 3 houses down has a large coop with maybe 10 chickens in it. I think one of my chickens has discovered this coop.

My question is will she come back home at night to sleep in her own coop or with she try to stay with the new friends she has found?

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Only time will tell. But if she turns up missing you know where to look. If she does try to move in with the neighbor's flock you can lock her in your coop for a few days with feed and water and this should retrain her where to go at night. A lot of my neighbors have chickens and so far nobody has had a problem with chickens relocating.

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    She may or may not come back on her own. If she doesn't, you can always go check with your neighbors and bring her back at night. Be cautious though...your neighbor's flock may be exposing her to diseases and vice versa.

I have a 6' high fence as my run and use bird netting over the top to keep them in their run when I need them to instead of ranging the yard. It's inexpensive and so far has kept out aerial predators as well. You may want to consider something similar to stop your girls from doing the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by