chicken experts? Hello?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HennyPennies2007, May 16, 2009.

1. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    I have a couple hens that are vomiting a clear, mucous-like material. We have had rain for awhile now, and I was worrying about bacteria. They are about 1 1/2 years old. Poop looks normal. Other than the rain, no changes... they are on Purina Layena and scratch. One hen is really lethargic and not moving.... the other is unaffected. It was really hot here yesterday and they were downing the water, so I attributed it to that....The weather here has been really screwy, 90 one day 60 the next with thunderstorms off and on. They have been free ranging in the wheatfield behind my house off and on. Her crop seems ok.....any ideas? I have acv in the water as well....

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    do they do this when you pick em up usually when the crop i believe it is called is pressed that lump on the front on some birds they will thow up my leghorns do this alot

3. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Yes she did vomit after I picked her up and palpated her crop.....but her front feathers are soaked... I wonder if she has peen pecking in the water or vomiting...

4. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ya just watch how you pick em up the older they get the less the crop is visible on some birds and they should grow out of it but its nothing to worry about just when you pick them up dont touch the crop. we all learn that when you press it they throw up lol and the wet from feathers she just probly got them wet by pecking at the water or rain or something

5. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Thanks CB.......Still watching her...

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    your welcome from one chicken lover to another lol

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    [​IMG] Best of luck! I hope that is all that's wrong... [​IMG]

8. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    She kept getting worse so I culled her... I did not want her to suffer....I tried all the crop stuff I could find....she was in rough shape..... [​IMG] First time culling one of my serious pet, full grown hens.... I am sad....[​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    oh wow it didnt seem that serious hopefully the others wont get sick im sorry for your loss

10. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Sounds like she may possibly have had an impacted crop. Sometimes grass can cause it, getting wound up around corn or something. Of course I can't be sure, just a guess. If you run upon this again try giving olive oil. Sometimes this will lubricate a mass and get it moving. We had to cull a roo a couple months ago from it. Basically caught it too late and he was too weak to make it through. So sorry you had to cull her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by