chicken eye has yellow on it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindydj, Feb 4, 2007.

1. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    Chicken Little the new little Mille Fleur I got a few weeks ago has a yellow place on his eye and the lid appear to be swollen. They are allowed to leave the chicken house all day. And I have the flu and don't really want to deal with this too...poor little guy:(
    [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Could he have bumped his eye when moving to your house? Last spring I bought an OEGB roo and a day or two later his eye swole up. I took a good look and didn't see anything wrong but the swelling and it went away after a few days. If yours bumped his eye in transit it would be swollen and the yellow stuff could be matting from the injury. If so, it'll go away if a few days. I'm sure someone will post shortly with more experience than me. Hope he gets well soon.

[​IMG]

3. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    No he was fine until two days ago. It looked like his eye was not there this morning and had grass stuck to it. He is very hard to catch and bites when you get him. I have looked all day for him and can not find him. He has always stayed away from the other chickens in a corner or would run around like wild. I think there may have been something wrong with him. I wonder if one of the chickens pecked his eye?

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Another chicken could have pecked him. Poor guy. The best way to catch him is to wait until it's absolutely dark and take him off his roost. Wrap him in a towel, which will help keep him calm, and bring him in under a good light. I'd take a warm wet cloth and wipe the gunk off his eye and give him a good check. Lift the lid if you can and check for holes, infection, if the eye itself is swollen or just the lid, etc. If it looks infected and really bad, you'll need to take him to an avian vet. If it's just goopy, a drop or two of distilled water might be enough to flush it out. You also might want to keep him separated from the flock, maybe even in a cage, until the problem is resolved to keep the other birds away so they don't keep pecking him.

[​IMG]

5. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    The problem is he is not roosting in the hen house and I can't find him, now....

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a roo with only one eye and he is the nicest bird, however we really keep a watch out for him because he gets turned around and looses direction. We usually catch catch up to him where he walks into something and can't figure his way out.

Tall grass or thicker brush will confuse him and cause him to just stand there upset.

I would look for the first possible obstruction, that could confuse him.

Good luck, we freak out when he gets turned around, we have been lucky locating him so far. With only one eye, they have no sense of direction.

bigzio

7. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    it sounds a bit like conjunctivitis, if you find her and it's still bad could you get a pic of it?

If you do find her I'd suggest washing the eye with saline solution

8. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    I have finally found him and I think he has a very bad respiratory infection. It is too late to get anything from the vet even if they would I have no idea. Is there anything I can buy from the feed store. I feel so bad. He did eat the feed I gave him but his breathing is very labored. I am also very sick and have not been able to give them a lot of attention the last few days. [​IMG] I feel so bad!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Slap some vicks vaporub under his wings and around his nostrils. Doesn't hurt and might help...poor baby.

10. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    Hey he fits right in here we are using vicks buy the tub....we all have the flu even the chickens....poor little guy. I just checked and the others are looking okay and he is still hanging on in the barn. He has food and water and is comfy but I feel so sorry for him....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by