Chicken eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyandbj, Nov 17, 2016.

1. emilyandbj

emilyandbj Just Hatched

Jul 25, 2016
    Hello
    One of my white leghorn chickens has some black pussy stuff around her eye. I just noticed it this morning. Please let me know if you can give me any advice
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. emilyandbj

emilyandbj Just Hatched

Jul 25, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This pic is a little clearer

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I was the one who answered you on another older thread today. It appears to be from pecking, but she has a little infection in her eye I think. Fowl pox could also be the problem, but it looks more like pecking. I would rinse the white any drainage out of the eye with saline or water, and even a warm wet compress to the eye for several minutes might help. Then apply some Terramycin eye ointment (from a feed store--ask the clerk for it) or some plain neosporin triple antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. Do you have mosquitoes present at this time? Has she been picked on by the others at all? Are you seeing any other symptoms of a respiratory nature, such as sneezing, wheezing, or nasal drainage? Below are some pictures of fowl pox compared with pecking marks:

[​IMG]
    Peck marks

[​IMG]
    Fowl pox

[​IMG]
    Fowl Pox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by