1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LY, Mar 29, 2016.

1. LY

LY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Edgewood
    Please help. I found one of our hens injured yesterday, see photos. We've separated her from the rest of the flock but now I'm not sure what more to do. I've taken a damp rag and gently cleaned, but I'm afraid there is no eye left. I don't want to cause her more pain. She is eating and was happy to get away from the rest of the flock to her own spot. She is eating and drinking.

Please help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen. I would use some warm compresses on the eye a couple of times a day, and then use either Terramycin eye ointment 1/8 inch into the eye, or Vetericyn eye gel in it. Saline is also good to flush the eye of dirt and gunk. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to determine the extent of the injury once all of the swelling is gone. The compresses can help in getting any gunk off.Let us know how she does.

3. LY

LY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Edgewood
    Thanks - I'll try that tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by