Chicken Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lasasj, Mar 1, 2014.

1. lasasj

lasasj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    We have a chicken with a swollen eye. What could cause this? Any ideas? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In some cases a peck wound could cause the eye to swell or get infected, but most often it is a swollen sinus from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma or coryza. There is usually watery eyes sometimes with pus, thin or thick nasal drainage, sneezing, rattles or wheezes in the chest. With coryza there may be a bad odor. These diseases are usually contagious making carriers of the flock. Some are viruses, and can be complicated by secondary infections. Here is a link that shows some of the most common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. lasasj

lasasj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Shes now on antibiotics mixed with her water and I've been applying a warm compression to her eye a couple times a day. Hopefully she'll get better soon.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotics such as Tylan, erthryomycin, and oxytetracycline can help to alleviate the symptoms of respiratory disease, but they can come back again whenever the chicken is stressed. I hope she starts to feel better soon. You might want to place her water higher up on a block to keep the shavings out of it. A heavier waterer might not tip over if she perches on it (been there, done that, LOL.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by