Chicken eyes shut and very swollen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by forester7, Oct 23, 2017.

1. forester7

forester7 In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    Hi folks. Several weeks back I posted about getting my first 7 chicks and having them get sick right away (sneezing and pusy eyes). Some thoguht it might be mycoplasm. Well, I gave them tetracyclin and the sneezing seems to have gone away without losing any, but the eye problems persist. After a few weeks a few still had one shut eye, so we opeend the eyes and put in some Polysporin eye drops. Now a few days after that, the eyes are very swollen in addition to being shut. I guess the eye drops weren't a good idea? Or should we have kept with the drops every day? Ayone with any suggestions? Should we just let it run its course and hope for the best? I assume they will end up blind in that eye at least.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have some pictures? It's possible that using the eye drops could have spread the infection around if the eyes were touched. There also could have been trauma to the eyes while opening them for the drops. Or, the disease was getting worse. The problem with conjunctivitis is that it can cause thick pus and sinus infections can cause pus in the sinuses. I am not a vet, but these are just some possible explainations for what you are seeing, or the worsening of the illness. Mycoplasma (MG) is a chronic disease, and it can be complicated by secondary infections. If that has happened the eyes could be infected by something that doesn't respond to what you are using. I haven't treated this before, but most say that you have to get any pus out of the eye for the drops or ointments to do their job. You might want to consult a vet to get an eye culture or to get a better drop or antibiotic. Ciprofloxacin drops are usually pretty good for eye infections. First State Vet Supply online advertises those. Again, a vet would be better at giving advice.

3. forester7

forester7 In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    Ok. I went out to the coop tonight and 2 are sneezing again, and the swollen closed eyes have spread to 2 other chickens. Since I only have 7 and paid $40 for them, I am thinking of culling the whole lot and trying again. If I do that, how long should I wait before bringing new chicks into the coop?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some of the respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) and coryza only last a few days on equipment, clothes, shoes, etc. Viruses (ILT) can last longer, especially in frozen droppings in winter. You may want to get a state vet necropsy on 1 or 2 that you cull, and get a diagnosis first to know what you are dealing with. Refrigerate (do not freeze) the bodies promptly in plastic bags. Talk to the state vet--each state is different and some are more helpful than others. Here is a link to find contact info on state vets and poultry labs:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

This link about diseases may give you more info:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: