Chicken eyes swollen

FIZBIT

Songster
May 9, 2018
OLYMPIA, WA
I have this really old chicken I was given 3 years ago. This morning I noticed after I let them out when I went back in she was still in the same spot. I noticed her eyes were swollen shut and she has a large black spot on her comb that formed and I have been trying to watch it but she never lets me get close or even touch her. I was thinking with her age she might be loosing liver function. Or she fights the rooster all the time so also thought it might be a wound as she has a few blood spots on her face after fighting with him. It doesn't smell grose or anything. She has always had squinty eyes for as long as I have had her. I don't know how old she is but I know she is getting really old. I removed her from the coop and put her in the garage. I put vasaline on her eyes to soften whatever was preventing them to open which worked. I also diluted iodine and washed her face and eyes. I gave her water, food and snacks (meal worms and some fresh garlic). She is still spunky and alert. Hasn't lost any weight that I can tell. She feels plump.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Not sure. Was given her 3 years ago. She is a large white breed. I know she is way up there in age. And she feels normal weight. But this is the first time in 3 years I have held her as she was a free range bird without human contact her whole life before I got her.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Eyes Swollen shut and a black spot on her comb
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Just noticed this this morning as she didn't move from her perch this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Possibly a virus maybe liver failer

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

As far as I know. I have 32 chickens and they free range. I know she ate some scratch yesterday before bed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Haven't seen her poop yet

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Diluted iodine washed her eyes then put Vasilene on her eyes and comb.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat her myself if possible

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Done

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

House is under the carport and enclosed. Dirt floor with shavings. And hay for nesting and 5 roosts

Attachments

• 20200503_093119.jpg
    20200503_093119.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200503_093140.jpg
    20200503_093140.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This is her in late March. Sorry the quality is bad but its the best I have.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588528373418.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588528373418.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 3
Her left eye looked swollen back in March. Do you see any white or yellow pus in the eyes? Swollen eyes with bubbles or pus may be signs of a respiratory disease, pinkeye, and sinus infection. The peck marks on the right eye might be the cause of swelling, but if you see any sneeze, rattly congestion, or nasal drainage, it might be mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Peck wounds in the eye can cause infection as well. I would use some saline eye wash or a clean cloth with warm water and wipe the eyes twice a day, and then apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin to the eyes twice day.

Her left eye looked swollen back in March. Do you see any white or yellow pus in the eyes? Swollen eyes with bubbles or pus may be signs of a respiratory disease, pinkeye, and sinus infection. The peck marks on the right eye might be the cause of swelling, but if you see any sneeze, rattly congestion, or nasal drainage, it might be mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Peck wounds in the eye can cause infection as well. I would use some saline eye wash or a clean cloth with warm water and wipe the eyes twice a day, and then apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin to the eyes twice day.

Her eyes have been like that since I got her. The swelling is in both eyes. The right side has more swelling than the left. She has no sneezing, cough, nasal drainage. Just the swelling. She is perky but not over active. She currently hasn't eaten anything. I even put her favorite banana in with her but she show no interest. Dont know if its the separation from the other 3 hens she came with 3 years ago or not.

Sorry missed the question of eye bubbles etc. Nothing like that at all. They were just swollen shut this morning.

Thank you. I have all that on hand. I will give it a go.

Do you think I should keep her seperated or put her back woth the flock. I would hate to have her waste away from being lonley. Her and the other girls have been together for 6+ years. And I don't know how much older they are then that. But I know they are old ladies.

Since she has been with them all along, I cannot see a reason to keep her separated. I would just treat her eyes with the antibiotic ointment and cleaning the eyes. Someday if you lose her, it would be good to get a necropsy by your state poultry vet to find out what the problem was.

Since she has been with them all along, I cannot see a reason to keep her separated. I would just treat her eyes with the antibiotic ointment and cleaning the eyes. Someday if you lose her, it would be good to get a necropsy by your state poultry vet to find out what the problem was.

Thank you

I just went un and cleaned her eyes up. Put ointment on and took her out. She went straight to the water to drink then I through out some treats and she went to eating. That makes me feel better. I wouldn't want to have her waste away because of lonleyness.

Back
Top Bottom