chicken faked laying an egg?

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
Ok so I went outside to see if my chicken was laying an egg. And there she was on the nesting box. it looked like she was about to push since she was standing and her comb began to turn pale. But then all of a sudden she jumped out of the nesting box and left, almost like she forgot what she was doing. I was about to go back to my house when i hear her go bawk bawk bawk BAWWWKK (egg song) I run back but there was no egg almost like she though she layed one but she didn’t? Her first egg was earlier this week so i’m guessing she’s just confused on what she doing?

My one girl sings an egg song before going to the nesting box. If I open up the box and she's in the nest she grunts at me, gets up to leave and will sing the egg song. By the end of the day she does it all over again and leaves an egg. Each one of my girls act differently. They are beautifully unique .

There's a chance she's "faking" it, but there's a greater chance she could be having trouble getting an egg out.

Pick her up and check her vent. Is it contracting noticeably? Is there any watery discharge? Feel below her vent for anything resembling a stuck egg. But it's not necessary for an egg to be felt for a hen to be in trouble. It could be a stuck shell-less egg you can't feel, or even tissue sloughed off the oviduct and blocking her works.

If you have an calcium supplements on hand that the women in your family take for strong bones, give her one tablet directly in her beak. This will encourage contractions and help her deliver the egg or get the obstruction to pass.

There's a chance she's "faking" it, but there's a greater chance she could be having trouble getting an egg out.

Pick her up and check her vent. Is it contracting noticeably? Is there any watery discharge? Feel below her vent for anything resembling a stuck egg. But it's not necessary for an egg to be felt for a hen to be in trouble. It could be a stuck shell-less egg you can't feel, or even tissue sloughed off the oviduct and blocking her works.

If you have an calcium supplements on hand that the women in your family take for strong bones, give her one tablet directly in her beak. This will encourage contractions and help her deliver the egg or get the obstruction to pass.
ok i just checked on her and she’s on the nesting box again. She’s been acting normal and all the eggs that’s she’s layed have been hard shell. I’ll check on her in a bit to see if she layed it. Thank you so much for this advice!

our andalusians do this regularly. if they’re on the nest while we’re around and their flock starts talking to us or if we give out treats not knowing a lady is doing her thing, they’ll scamper out. the orps and wyandottes have nesting boxes that we open from the back and if you open the door with one of them in it, they don’t care and will finish their task. I also haven’t noticed any of them leave the box until they lay. the andalusians are a bit more flighty, but none of them have had any laying problems. hope your girl is all good! did she end up laying yesterday?

It won't cause issues if you interrupt her as long as she's not overly upset, so don't feel bad about it. Some of my hens will come running from the nest box as soon as they hear the rattling of treats, and then return to laying, or wander off a bit before heading back to the nests.

It won't cause issues if you interrupt her as long as she's not overly upset, so don't feel bad about it. Some of my hens will come running from the nest box as soon as they hear the rattling of treats, and then return to laying, or wander off a bit before heading back to the nests.
okay good to hear this! I didn’t think it would be a problem because the day before i watched her do it and she didn’t get distracted

Back
Top Bottom