Chicken falling off roost at night...

RichtmanRanch

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 23, 2013
Minnesota
We have had our chickens for about 7 months now. So we are still relatively new to the chicken raising scene. We have 4 hens. They have a 2x4 with the flat side positioned for them to roost on. The roost is about 4 feet long. Anyhow I am worried if they would ever fall off at night. Sometimes I catch them sleeping while standing up! Anyhow I woke up very early 4:45am looked out the window and could see that two of my girls where pacing around in the coop. Our light comes on at 5am right now for laying purposes. I am wondering if one of them moved in the night and pushed one off. And then the other jumped down to join her. It was very bright with the moon and the fresh snow last night so maybe they could see better than normal. So I am wondering if she can see ok to get back on the perch? Would she just fall asleep on the floor? Both seemed very alert and moving around and the other two on the perch we wide awake. Not sure at what point in time this happened in the night. maybe they just woke up early :)

Thanks

Occasionally I have a hen that gets pushed off or falls off the roost bar at night. And it is usually too dark for them to get back up on the bar, so they sleep on the floor. I had it happen recently during very cold snap. But she was fine by herself beneath the bar.

Mine will often get off early in the morning, even in the very dim light, as I have come out very early in the morning to the coop and one of them is down wandering around in the dark. LOL Many times it is because they need to lay an early egg. Other times it is possible somebody pushed them off.

Either way, they do ok if they don't stay on all night. As long as it is not a really long fall to the floor, they do alright.
smile.png

its just a 2.5 foot drop to a well padded floor of bedding. Im hoping they are fine tonight. its supposed to drop down to negative temps and I know the floor isn't nearly as warm as up on the perch. But Im guessing there was some shoving and pushing involved.

Back
Top Bottom