Chicken falling over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LAlvarez, Mar 17, 2018.

1. LAlvarez

LAlvarez Hatching

Mar 17, 2018
    Hi I'm new and was wondering if y'all could help me. One of our chickens doesn't have any balance and keeps falling over. He falls over the water bucket and over chickens so I'm guessing it's gotta hurt. He's about 4 years old. We feed him scratch, grains, whole corn, and let him roam around. He's eating but he can't seem to stand. He just lays on his side with his mouth open.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. He could be suffering from a nutritional deficiency from not eating a balanced chicken feed, since scratch grains and corn are not complete, and lack protein, vitamins and minerals in the right combination.
    I would get some Flock Raiser feed, and some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give him 3 ml daily (a little over 1/2 tsp.) daily.
    Do you know if he may have been injured? Mareks disease is sometimes a cause of imbalance or lameness. Dehydration can also cause that, so I would make sure that he is near food and water, and offer a little cooked egg, meat, or tuna for extra energy. Make sure that he can see, since he could have some trouble seeing?

Wyorp Rock and tootmany like this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

How long has this been going on? +1 to the nutridrench asap. Also, can he come inside to be cared for where it is quiet and warm?

4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I'm sorry. I forgot to say hello and welcome. And I'm so sorry your roo isn't feeling well.

tootmany likes this.
  5. LAlvarez

LAlvarez Hatching

Mar 17, 2018
    Thank you so much

6. LAlvarez

LAlvarez Hatching

Mar 17, 2018
    It's barely been 2 days but I'd never seen any of the chickens do that before so I got worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: