Chicken falling over

ChristinaMc86

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
New York
Hey everyone. Im a new chicken owner. I have a rooster and a chicken and recently I’ve been beside myself trying to figure out what’s wrong. I’ve had them for three months and they’ve been perfectly fine. The other morning I came outside and I noticed my rooster was off-balance and tripping. His eyes are fine and clear. There not half open like sick chickens look. He doesn’t act lethargic. His tail is up and he’s acting pretty normal besides this falling issue. He’s eating and drinking. Maybe not as much as normal but he is. He honestly looks drunk. He doesn’t have any curling of the toes that I’ve read is associated with a vitamin deficiency. It seems his left side is affected more. I brought him to the vet and she gave me trimetoprim 80mg but I don’t see much improvement. I’ve bought every vitamin and have been trying everything. Has anyone ever seen this before or dealt with something similar? Thanks so much

Attachments

• 6DAAA699-EA4F-4C23-86AE-5DF128113C5B.jpeg
    6DAAA699-EA4F-4C23-86AE-5DF128113C5B.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 50
What does he eat? Brand and type. Any signs of injury? Did you check his feet for bumble?
So he eats kalmbach feed, scratch, I give them veggies there not too crazy about, I make a mixture of quinoa, millet, flax seed and some other stuff. Mix vinegar and vitamins in there water. They absolutely hate crumbles and pellets so this was the only food they seem to like. He doesn’t have bumble foot and doesn’t appear to have any injuries

Attachments

• F7A36DD6-19F6-4DE7-896E-D1D187217F54.jpeg
    F7A36DD6-19F6-4DE7-896E-D1D187217F54.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 24
So he eats kalmbach feed, scratch, I give them veggies there not too crazy about, I make a mixture of quinoa, millet, flax seed and some other stuff. Mix vinegar and vitamins in there water. They absolutely hate crumbles and pellets so this was the only food they seem to like. He doesn’t have bumble foot and doesn’t appear to have any injuries
What type of vitamins? Switch to an all flock feed, like Purina flock raiser. roosters should not have layer feed. Cut out the scratch, millet, etc and veggies for a few weeks. there is far too little protein and vitamins I'm their current diet and far too many carbs. No healthy animal with refuse food if that's all there is to eat. They've gotten spoiled. Always offer plain water along side any water that has supplements in it and only offer supplements no more than 10 days straight. He looks overweight.

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you upload a video of him walking to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here? They don’t need ACV in their water. I would limit food to the chicken feed, cut out most of the scratch and extras.

What type of vitamins? Switch to an all flock feed, like Purina flock raiser. roosters should not have layer feed. Cut out the scratch, millet, etc and veggies for a few weeks. there is far too little protein and vitamins I'm their current diet and far too many carbs. No healthy animal with refuse food if that's all there is to eat. They've gotten spoiled. Always offer plain water along side any water that has supplements in it and only offer supplements no more than 10 days straight. He looks overweight.
Oo wow I had no idea! Thank you so much I feel terrible I’ve been feeding him wrong all this time. So I’ve been putting rooster booster in there water and poultry cell recently in a syringe. Yes he def is a little over weight 🤦🏼‍♀️

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you upload a video of him walking to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here? They don’t need ACV in their water. I would limit food to the chicken feed, cut out most of the scratch and extras.
So I actually found the rooster and chicken on the side of the road in Queens NY which is a busy area. I asked around and the people I asked said someone had been dumping the chickens (others died) so I took them so I have no idea there background. And will do. Going to get a different feed

So I actually found the rooster and chicken on the side of the road in Queens NY which is a busy area. I asked around and the people I asked said someone had been dumping the chickens (others died) so I took them so I have no idea there background. And will do. Going to get a different feed
And sure I’ll attach a video

Back
Top Bottom